Tyler acts for municipalities, developers and land owners. He practices municipal law, administrative law, municipal taxation, as well as construction law. His advice encompasses all types of municipal management issues including corporate governance and representation at administrative tribunals.
Tyler frequently appears before various tribunals, including:
- The Municipal Government Board
- Subdivision and Development Appeal Boards
- Composite Assessment Review Boards
- Environmental Appeal Board; and
- Land Compensation Board.
He also assists with safety code and building code issues, annexation, intermunicipal disputes, and expropriations. Tyler has sat on as a member of a number of tribunals, including the Municipal Government Board, the National Parole Board, and the Criminal Injuries Review Board.
Tyler also sat as a member of the Disaster Advisory Committee after the 2013 Alberta floods, appointed by Ministerial Order to make recommendations to the Minister of Municipal Affairs on matters related to disaster recovery assistance.
YEAR OF CALL:
Alberta - 2005
• Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy) – University of Calgary, 2000
• Bachelor of Laws – University of Calgary, 2004
Tyler also is a Facilitator and Evaluator for CPLED (Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education), Alberta’s bar admission course, and he volunteers for the Law Society of Alberta as a Mentor. He still volunteers for and supports Student Legal Assistance at the University of Calgary.
He served as Vice-chair of the Municipal Section of the Canadian Bar Association from 2015 to 2017, and is a member of the Canadian Property Tax Association, the Alberta Municipal Lawyers Association, and the Expropriation Association of Alberta.
COMMUNITY & PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT:
- Board Member, Canadian Association of Police Governance: December 2015 to 2018
- Member of Committee of Management, The Ranchmen’s Club: June 2016 to present
- Senator, University of Calgary: 2008 to 2011
- Board Member, Calgary Parking Authority: 2008 to 2011
Tyler has also served as a volunteer and board member for a number of non-profit organizations, including the Alberta Media Production Industries Association and Digital Alberta. He was a volunteer for nine years for the Promotion Committee of the Calgary Stampede. Tyler was also a founding board member of and is still a proud supporter of the Calgary Ukrainian Festival.
Tyler and his wife, Andrea, have two young sons, which means they spend a lot of evenings and weekends at Calgary’s various hockey rinks.